Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Dark YA Blogfest Week Three: Soundtrack



Good morning, everyone!

I was really looking forward to this week. I may not be terribly on top of things when it comes to the music scene (I rely on my more savvy friends to recommend things to me), but music is a huge part of my writing process. Sometimes I find music that's specific to characters and stories, but generally I stock up on mood music for writing different tones and genres. And as y'all might have guessed, I have a lot of horror-writing music!

So today, I am going to raid my playlist and put together an awesome soundtrack for you to listen to while you read stories of the creepy persuasion. And since I just read (and adored) ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD, I should note that these songs make for a pretty good accompaniment!

(To learn more about the Dark YA Blogfest, go here!)






1. Howl - Florence and the Machine

I love the way this song escalates, especially with the drumming. There's a reason it's my HUNGRY GROUND theme song!

2. Haunted - Poe

I love Poe, and this song in particular is awesomely eerie. The disoriented feel makes it an especially good fit for Anna, what with the warped reality she has to deal with in the house.

3. Apres Moi - Regina Spektor

I just love the moodiness of this song, with all the deep piano notes, and the line "I'm not my own/it's not my choice." It's another great Anna song.

4. They - Jem

Another eerie, atmospheric song. The slightly off-kilter chanting in the background feels very haunted house to me!

5. Violet Hill - Coldplay

I felt like I had to get some dude singers on this list!  This is very different from their usual fare, and tonally I think it's a good match for the story.


Enjoy! And go read ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD if you haven't already!

7 comments:

  1. Poe! Good choice. And Coldplay always has something that will suit the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the book but I've heard great things about it on the blogosphere.

    I'm loving the soundtrack portion of this blogfest because I love to find new songs over which to obsess. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an awesome horror song list!
    I can't believe I haven't read ANNA as yet, cos so many people are talking about it on this blogfest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This seems to be a popular choice to score this week. I must read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE Florence and the Machine. And that Coldplay song is gorgeous! Good choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay... so another book to add to my pile of TBR. And I'm thinking I might have to check out Florence & the Machine again too, since so many people have referenced them in their playlists. I wasn't into them, but maybe I need to listen again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great soundtrack. I must read this book. I'm so glad you did the soundtrack for this, since another blogger on the tour cast the movie. Now we get both. Yay.

    ReplyDelete